Saturday, November 8, 2008

Goodbye Beijing, Hello Zhengzhou

Today, we left Beijing.... Honestly, it wasn't enough time. Beijing was AWESOME!!! All the people we met there were so nice and friendly. Also, they seriously all adored Josh. Of course, he loved the attention from them, too.
But now, we're in Zhengzhou (pronounced jeng-jo). So far, the only place we've been here is the airport and hotel. But from what we could see during the drive from point A to point B, it's a lot different.
Before I talk anymore about today or anything, though, I'd like to share about our day yesterday; our last day in Beijing.


The Jade Factory

So, the first thing we did yesterday was head over to this jade factory. It was pretty cool! I especially enjoyed the store.

The only thing I bought at the store was a cell phone charm that means "peace". Of course, I can't use it yet since my cell phone is at home :(

In the picture, it's this big pirate ship made of jade. Up close, it's even more fascinating than the picture!!!

My favorite thing there was this huge wall with all these little tiny designs carved out of jade. But, I wasn't allowed to take a picture of it because it was copyrighted or something. You'll just have to take my word that it was amazing.


The Great Wall

The next thing we did was something I'm sure everybody has dreamed of doing- walking the Great Wall of China. Of course, we couldn't walk the entire thing.

I have 2 words to describe this:
1. AMAZING!!!!
2. exhausting!

Everyone in my family, except my mom, climbed to the top of the Wall. It is an intense climb! One thing that makes it really hard is that the steps are so uneven. For example, there would be steps that were literally 18 inches, and then the next step would only be like 2 inches.

After making it to the top, coming down was still pretty hard. My legs were shaking so bad! Even hours after being off of the wall, some peoples legs were still shaking!

But, I would totally do that again! Oh, and did I mention that it was snowing?


Lunch
Lunch was the next thing we did. It wasn't as good as Friday's lunch, but it wasn't terrible either. Except I didn't enjoy that the fish they put in the table was still looking as if it was almost in it's original form.... which meant I felt as if I was being stared at by a dead fish. Not exactly the most appetizing thing. I didn't eat any of, I will admit.


The Olympic Village
We stopped here to take pictures... I was suffering from major jet-lag, and didn't get out of the bus. It was pretty cool looking though! (yes, this means I saw the actual building where Michael Phelps swam).


The Acrobatics show!
I will admit to you, I missed part of the beginning, since I couldn't stay awake. But, that was only like 10 minutes according to my mom! I have no clue how ANYBODY could do this! I would be terrible at it!

There was this one act where these two guys went around on this giant thing that looked like a hamster wheel. But, it was like a double hamster wheel! Then, one of them went on the outside thing and blindfolded himself!!! And then, to make matters worse, he nearly fell off!!!


But now, we are in Zhengzou!!!! There's 9 families in our group here (back in Beijing, we had 11 or 12, but some of the families went to different provinces). There's like 4 kids between the ages of 4-6 here and then there's 4 of us who are between 12-16.

Tomorrow morning at 9 AM (it'll still be Sunday for you- 7 PM) we'll finally get to meet Amy!! I can't wait!! Pray for us!!! Luv ya and miss ya!!!

No comments: